Tuesday, May 31, 2011

San Diego


With Alex successfully on his way to Alaska to work with a team from 2nd Ranger Battalion for their “Climb for the Fallen” up Denali, the kids and I drove to Phoenix to pick up my mom and continue on to San Diego.

Having spent very little time in California other than Joshua Tree, I was surprised at how much I loved San Diego. After spending our first night on a strip of beach on Coronado Island, we found an amazing hotel on the Navy Base on North Island across the bay from San Diego. With Mom and I both having military ID’s we were able to stay at this place, which was situated right on the beach with the Pacific Ocean rolling in. We were conveniently located close to the San Diego Zoo, Sea World and the Port Village of San Diego. I was so impressed with the sailors and facilities available to us on the Naval Base. It was also fun to imagine my husband at the ripe old age of 18 going through Basic Training here and starting his career as a Navy Sea Bee.

On a cruise in San Diego Bay

Hospital Ship Mercy. Responded to Katrina and the tsunami in Indonesia

Jackson checking out the aircraft carrier

In front of the USS Midway


I've only seen these signs on military posts

My Sea Bee, 26 years later. This was actually taken in DC, but thought it appropriate to post now.

So Mom treated us to another indulgent week of entertainment. After full days at the local attractions, the kids came back to the hotel to swim in the ocean. The air temperature never reached above 65 when we were there, so imagine how cold the Pacific Ocean was. My crazy woodchucks were playing in the waves while the locals looked at them like they had lost their minds.


Crazy woodchucks


On the beach outside the Navy Lodge
I was so grateful for Mom’s company and generosity providing for fun, great meals and accommodations, another break from our house on wheels. It’s helped ease the transition to doing this solo while Alex works. Now it’s back to Phoenix to spend time with Sus and her family. Mom has to return home to VT to keep Dad from getting too lonely and to continue treating my patients while I’m gone. 

Thanks Mom!

No comments:

Post a Comment